The Pond Creation Toolkit includes a range of factsheets available to freely download.
The Pond Creation Toolkit includes:
- Core factsheets 1 to 8 with background information on the project and the best practice principles of clean water pond creation, such as location, design, project planning and implementation.
- Habitat factsheets which present detailed information on designing ponds in different landuses, e.g. woodland, grassland etc.
- Advice factsheets which deal with issues such as birdstrike, planning permission, and ponds in public access areas.
- Species dossiers with technical information on creating ponds specifically for over 40 pond-associated BAP species, based on their ecological requirements.
- Aggregates factsheets specifically targeted at pond creation on mineral sites.
- Case studies
NEW! Pond Creation Toolkit resources now available in Welsh. Please note that not all factsheets are available. Keep checking this page for updates.
- Factsheet 1 About the Million Ponds Project
- Factsheet 2 Clean water ponds for wildlife. Welsh version available.
- Factsheet 3 Outline steps for pond creation for wildlife. Welsh version available.
- Factsheet 4 Pond Design. Welsh version available.
- Factsheet 5 Locating ponds and finding a clean water source. Welsh version available.
- Factsheet 6 Planning pond creation
- Factsheet 7 Constructing ponds
- Factsheet 8 Managing ponds after creation
Download All Pond Creation Core Toolkit factsheets here as one continuous document (file size 7.85MB)
- Wildlife ponds in areas with public access
- Wildlife ponds to avoid the risk of birdstrike
- Planning permission advice
- Project costing advice
- Choosing a pond liner
Creating ponds for-
- Brown Galingale
- Yellow Centaury
- Coral Necklace
- Pigmy Rush
- Marsh Clubmoss
- Three_lobed Water-crowfoot
- Small Fleabane
- Lesser Water-plantain – Welsh version available
- Tubular Water-dropwort – Welsh version available
- One-grooved Diving Beetle
- Zircon Reed Beetle
- Spangled Water Beetle
- Oxbow Diving Beetle
- Lagoon Sand Shrimp
- Crystal Moss Animal
- Starlet Sea Anemone
- Pondweed Leafhopper
- Fen Raft Spider
BAP species lists
- Factsheet A1 Why make ponds on aggregate sites?
- Factsheet A2 Pond design principles for biodiversity
- Factsheet A3 Pond construction on aggregate sites
- Factsheet A4 Best practice guidelines for planners and developers
- Factsheet A5 Integrating ponds with aggregate afteruses
- Factsheet A6 Great Crested Newts and the aggregate extraction industry
Eye Landfill: best practice pond design principles applied to compensate schemes for protected species.
Kings Dyke: ongoing habitat creation and management at a restored mineral extraction site.
Nosterfield: retro-fitting ponds and scrapes for wading birds can have benefits for a variety of wetland wildlife.
Darcy Lever Gravel Pits: how a partnership led by volunteers benefits freshwater wildlife