Contribute to the Million Ponds Project targets!
Anyone who creates a new countryside clean water pond can contribute to the Million Ponds Project. We want to encourage everyone who can, to join in.
To contribute to the pond creation targets, a new pond needs to fulfill these three project criteria;
- clean water source (groundwater or clean surface run off); and
- to be left to colonise naturally (no plants or animals added); and
- to be left to thrive without undue disturbance (e.g. fish or duck feeding),
An explanation of why these factors are so important and how to achieve them is given in Factsheet 2 of the Pond Creation Toolkit. Following these guidelines brings many benefits; not only will the ponds be very rich in wildlife throughout their lifetime, but most ponds will also be longer-lived and need less management than typical countryside ponds.
What is a pond?
A seasonal or permanent waterbody of 1m² to 2 hectares in surface area.
Registering your new ponds
- Single sites: If you have created ponds at a single site you can register them using the quick and easy-to-use register your ponds online form.
- Multiple sites: If you have created ponds at more than one site, you can register your ponds using the Pond registration form for multiple sites and email it to Pascale Nicolet at email@example.com